Saturday, April 8, 2017

Shooner...my favorite



Good morning, friends! Hope all is well with you. Yesterday, I tackled a job I have been avoiding...tidying up the bookcases in our living room. We have a lot of books even though I have been pulling and donating with vigor. 


Most of you know that I am an avid collector of Shooner Redware. I love the rich colors and many forms this talented husband and wife team create with simple clay. 

My collection is spread throughout our home...with most of it on the bookcase. I decided the pieces  needed to be gathered together, rather than be sprinkled here and there on the shelves. It also gave me the incentive I needed to dust!


I like the result...although I am still tweaking books. Brought all together in the center of the bookcase, I think it looks more like a true collection. There are still pieces scattered around, but the bulk of it is here.


Here are a few pieces on my piecrust table. 


I know that if you remember the years I featured my changing "Kitchen Window", you have seen many of these pieces before. I'm liking this new look. My sweet husband kindly suggested that this collection is complete...silly boy! Are collections ever complete? Have to admit he has a point. 

*****************************

I have not been doing a lot of hooking lately, but I am reading a wonderful book...The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman. It is the true story of a couple who ran the Warsaw Zoo before WWII.  I'm late to the party with this one...it was published in 2007. They have made a movie out of it so I immediately bought the book to read before seeing the movie. 

It is a wonderful read...full of history. I have learned a great deal, always a plus for this old educator. It is a story of hope and kindness and survival.

It is also full of sadness...full of man's inhumanity to man...full of greed and corruption...pain and suffering. 

I've been shaking my head and remembering the words of George Santayana, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Pray for peace...it's a big mess out there.

Enjoy the day,
Robyn







14 comments:

  1. Those are just beautiful pieces.
    I love the colors and designs on them.
    Lord, yes, peace please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robyn,
    I love redware and have always admired your collection!! I do think it really looks so beautiful grouped together and yes, there is ALWAYS room for one more piece!!!
    May God grant us PEACE! AMEN!!
    Big Heart Hugs to you and Annie~
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've given up hope for world peace. Too many vile people without compassion or respect for life, too far gone, too widely spread. And our own division and disrespect for others is growing.
    Your collection is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your collection! Such wonderful color.
    I have stopped reading books like that it bothers me so much I can't shake it. The news has become rare in this house we watch in the morning to see what has happened over night and local at 6 then off. I see enough on the computer through out the day. I pray for peace every night. I feel I can't change the world but I can change my little bit of it so we listen to music and watch movies from the library and enjoy the peace of our house, our neighborhood, our tiny town.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your "gathering" of Shooner Redware. It makes a bold statement when displayed this way.
    I am getting ready to start The Zoo Keeper's Wife. Your review is perfectly timed.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I like what you did ... Your collection really looks beautiful grouped together and you did a great job. The colors really show well against the white background.

    I pray for world peace. I think the majority are good people but we tend to hear about all the bad stuff that happens. Peace begins with me.

    Thanks for showing us what you've been up to lately.
    Peace & hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning, Robyn.
    Your Schooner collection is outstanding!!! I agree that a collection is never complete :)
    Your Santayana quote is so true! I pray for peace but I don't believe it can happen. Sadly there are countries that have been fighting for decades and there is so much evil out there. I fear for my grandson's future.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, what a great collection! I'm very envious. lol! I love how it looks all together. I want to read Zookeeper's Wife -- haven't read it yet. I think it's getting lots of press cause of the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your redware displayed together, Robyn! It looks beautiful. I love the colors. Our hubbies just don't understand our need to collect things! :-) I want to read that book too. Have a wonderful day and tell Annie hello. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your collection is outstanding. Love the way you now have it displayed. Yes, pray daily... that is my hope. The world has been at war with Muslims before Christ's birth. They were called pirates in more recent times.
    Looking forward to Easter Sunday celebrations and wishing ALL Peace and Blessings. "Trust in Jesus".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! What a stunning collection!!! But collections are never complete ;) I have a few Shooner animals that I love and am on the hunt for an eagle and a turkey. I also collect SJ Pottery - by another talented husband and wife team.
    Blessings, Patti

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful Collection...I DO PRAY for PEACE, but somehow I find myself as the day progresses thinking of Dorothy Parker's quote "What fresh hell is this/"

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your pottery. Its so pretty. I did like your kitchen windows. I love how it all looks. So fresh and clean.
    The world is going crazy. Thank you for the reminder. Have a lovely Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a huge fan of collections showcased as collections. I think it elevates their importance even more and yours is very ELEVATED. It's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete