Friday, February 8, 2013

...tools of the trade


Years ago, I hooked with a lady named Genevieve. Along with being a talented hooker, Genevieve made appliqued creations to cover Puritan frames.


The patterns were her own...each one different.


Genevieve also made snippet bags. They conveniently hang over the arm of your favorite hooking chair, and have a large magnet to hold your scissors at the ready.


A friend sent me the Quilted Crow button and a collection snowballed from there.


 On our travels, I look for buttons to join this ever growing obsession.


As I hook, I am reminded of all the places our family has visited...and all the memories we've made.


When my girl was in elementary school she made me this beaded salamander that makes it easy to locate my ever wandering scissors.


...one of my most treasured possessions...


I hope to get a little hooking in over the weekend...surrounded by friends and memories...and a creation by my favorite daughter.


Have a great weekend...stay safe...there's a Nor'easter on the way!

Enjoy the day,
Robyn









12 comments:

  1. I love your button collection and the handy bag -- and the beautiful wool applique piece too! A friend of my son's has a jacket. He's collected buttons from all his friends that represent them in some way. Such a special way to remember friends -- or remember places you've been!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The little appliqué is just so lovely. What a great way to remember where you have been in your travels with the button collection. My husband and I have so many buttons we have accumulated over the years and they just sit in a drawer.

    The snippet bag is a great idea and so is the salamander to make the job easier.

    Have a great weekend.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robyn...hooking with friends is always fun...whether side-by-side or there in spirit...it can't be beat!! What wonderful treasures and memories! Question...does Annie still make the little salamanders? If so, I would love to own one of my very own!! :) Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina...Annie made this with her class when she was still in school, so it is a "one and only". Thanks for your interest...Annie had an ear to ear grin on her face when I told her people admired her work of art. She also informed me she doesn't make them now that she is "retired".
      Robyn

      Delete
  4. Hi Robyn,
    Your little treasures are wonderful! Esp. the little salamander created by your little sweetheart! All the memories of the places you've traveled and enjoyed with your family are good things to keep you company while hooking too! Great post!
    Stay safe from this inclement weather... "Nor'easter" in eastern speak! :-) It's sunny and cold here today.... but ice storms predicted this weekend... Oh Spring... where art thou?!
    Cathy G

    ReplyDelete
  5. The salamander makes a priceless keepsake for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Robyn, such sweet keepsakes.....love them all.....priceless, Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I should be hooking but I am sitting on the computer.
    love your snippet bag.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have some of the very best treasures my friend....in material things and in spirit and heart. I hope you could hear me smile when I saw Annie's salamander. My son made one years and years ago - but I never knew what to do with it. I need to search my memory banks and recall where I put it - as it will have a fine purpose I think thanks to you and your sweet girl.... Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all your handmades from your friend. I really like the salamander! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Memories make stitching sweeter!
    Love the applique!

    ReplyDelete