Wednesday, March 16, 2016

My latest new, old sampler...


Like many of you, I collect early samplers. I am drawn to those stitched in red and green. Here is my latest find. For me, it's all about the bunny. 


It appears this little grey dog is in hot pursuit as they wind their way through the trees.


Stitched by Alice Waterston in 1849 at the age of eight, it is a fine little sampler.



Alice stitched the initials of family members complete with crowns...each different. Her parents and siblings?


Red and green samplers were often Scottish in origin. The Edin must represent Edinburgh...most likely where Alice lived. 

I am always amazed at the stitching these young girls left behind. How many eight year old girls can use a needle today? Many years ago, when I was teaching seventh grade, I had a few hours every week when the class was divided for P.E. The girls one day...the boys the next. When I had the girls I suggested we use our time to stitch. Surprisingly, they were all for it. It was the era of embroidered chambray shirts and I was working on a tiny shirt for my nephew. They all brought in something to work on and I supplied the needles and floss. I taught them a few basic stitches and they were off. We stitched away for forty minutes every week. I wonder if any of my girls are still stitching today. 



It's overcast this morning. Hopefully, a little rain is on the way. If you look closely, you can see the leaves have finally fallen from our live oaks. Live oaks are never completely bare. Ours are ready for spring. Within the week, they will be turning that lovely chartreuse color and spring will have officially arrived.

Enjoy the day,
Robyn





13 comments:

  1. Hi Robyn,
    Love your new/old sampler! I'm always amazed by the skill of those young girls!!! The colors are lovely and the bunny is charming!! I'm sure some of those girls of yours are fabulous stitchers today!!
    Enjoy your week, my friend!
    Bunny Hugs~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Robyn, what a treasure,love your new old sampler!!!!! Looks so cozy with the lamp glow.Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE it. Looks to be in very good condition. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I love your new old sampler! Simply gorgeous! Have you ever thought of charting them for reproduction? This one is divine!
    Blessings, Patti

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely find and such nice work for an 8 years old. Those girls learned at an early age. You're very lucky to have come upon this piece.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely sampler! I bet at least some of those girls are still sewing today and probably think of their teacher that taught them their first stitches. Hugs, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alice is a beauty! Congrats on adding her to your lovely home.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a treasure. I am always amazed by the talent of these young girls and ladies. Thanks again for sharing...
    Enjoy the day,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that is one HUGE oak tree!!!
    Hurry Spring.....Earlene

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore your new/old sampler!! Also love the photo of your table!! xo
    Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your sweet sampler. I don't have any antique samplers -- wish I did! I also enjoyed your last post of New Orleans and your visit there. I've never been there so it was fun to see.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just catching up on blogs, and I'm hoping Annie is doing well. I love your new sampler addition. I know you will have just the right place for it. You and your family must have been in heaven when in New Orleans. I've never been there, but the pictures, history and shows about the food have always interested me. Cafe du Monde just might be one of my first stops.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a treasure you've found! That little hare is no doubt being coursed by the greyhound…an Irish (and probably Scottish) tradition. Run, little hare, run!

    ReplyDelete