Friday, April 26, 2019

Farewell D.C...and goodies



We left D.C. at the crack of dawn...literally. I snapped this pic as we waited for the valet to bring our car. Beautiful city, our nation's capital...so photogenic!


This is what we look like when we travel. Mr.MW...always the same attire, wishing he could get his sixteen mile run in before getting behind the wheel. Annie...wanting to be fed and looking forward to going back to sleep in her nest in the backseat. Me...showered, but with no make-up and no hair combed. I'd been packing since 2:30 a.m. and making Annie's breakfast (ham sandwiches, applesauce and juice). Ready to serve as navigator for the next 938 miles and looking forward to some time on my heated car seat. 

The bellman offered to take our pic...and being semi coherent...I complied. One tired momma, here.


An early morning wink from Annie.


Good-bye, Thomas...and George. Your monuments are so special!


Good-bye, Pentagon! 


 The previous day we snapped a couple of pics...outside The Willard...


...and inside The Willard. In bowling, this would be called a"split". In photography, it's called..."Let's go home...enough already!"



The sign above me is for the famous Round Robin Bar...you'll have to take my word for it.

************************


Annie likes socks so her haul included three pairs purchased at the Capitol gift shop...


and a pair from The Willard gift shop. The background is actually the official 2019 Cherry Blossom Festival market bag...and the official pin. Annie is very specific when she shops. She asked for the socks and the bag...I threw in the pin for my collection.


Annie also likes pencils....she already had the red sparkly one out and in use when I took this pic.
Flag pin from Capitol...had to! We also grab a canvas W.F. bag when we travel. We have them from Chicago, Philadelphia, South Beach, Nashville, Tallahassee, etc and we use them!!!

Annie also scored a sweatshirt from Alexandria and a nice long sleeved tee.


My birthday gifts came from Mount Vernon. This beautiful silk scarf is the pattern from the ceiling in the dining room. I love scarves! Can you see the farming tools on the white background? Love it! The tiny tobacco jar is an ornament. 


These two Mottahedeh dishes have sayings by George himself on them. I collect these little coin plates when I go to historical cities. 


Of course, I can't come home without a book. This gem is about a wonderful Virginia artist by the name of Virginia Jacobs McLaughlin. She is "an itinerant painter" who paints beautiful murals on the walls of historic buildings...and some not so historic. It is filled with her gorgeous work. I don't want to infringe on any copyright so, again, you will have to take my word on the beauty inside these covers.


I have collected pins from all our travels. Here I added several...Ford's Theater,  the Capitol and a few museums. I use to pin them on my rug hooking snips bag but they are too many now. I need a new place to pin them so we can see them and remember all the places we've been. Any ideas...novel or otherwise.

And silly as it sounds, I was delighted to bring home not one, but two cans of my favorite furniture polish. Silly? I love this stuff! I can find it on line but you pay more in postage than for the polish. Something I will not be a party to.


There you go USPS...two for less than one plus postage!


Should last me the duration.

**************************

That concludes the tales of our trip to Washington, D.C. It was wonderful...and beyond tiring. It is the  longest trip I've taken since fighting multiple autoimmune ailments. I did better than I expected. But, I ate things I should not and pushed the limits. That's what a vacation is all about, right? 

Today I'm back on track...no more sugar ( swan song was French silk pie on Easter) or wheat...only a bit of caffeine. 

Oh...if you see Annie don't mention the "pat down" she got before going into the Capitol. A female member of the Capitol Police removed her blanket from her legs, went over her with a wand and then patted her down. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate their efforts to keep us safe...pat my kid down all you need to...but be prepared for whatever said kid has to say about it...it's possible it might contain some expletives. Luckily, the officer did a terrific job and Annie kept saying, "I'm fine, I'm fine." and told the woman, "I don't have anything." They are on the job at The Capitol!

T.G.I.F.

Enjoy the day,
Robyn
















12 comments:

  1. Oh poor Annie never fun having your space invaded. It looks like you had a wonderful time and a great family picture. I am sorry you are battling auto immune issues. I have had an auto immune disease since I turned 40 ( a long time ago) but I am luckier than most there is medicine to help control it and I live just fine except when I get sick, then it is an issue.
    glad you had a safe trip home.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie can stand up for herself...and has since she was four years old. Glad your auto immune issues are under control...it's a real struggle.
      Robyn

      Delete
  2. What a great post. I have so enjoyed the pictures from your trip. Mr. MW runs 16 miles a day? God bless him. I could never do it.
    Now where would Annie have learned expletives? 🤣🤣🤣
    So sorry about your auto immune issues. At least you know what you need to do and are willing to do it.
    You came home with lots of fun treasures.
    Thank you again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words...I hoped I wasn't boring you guys prattling on about our adventures. Annie was sheltered from "words" for decades. We
      finally decided it was a losing battle. Dammit!

      Delete
  3. DC is truly picturesque...even for a “city” LOL. And you, my friend, are lovely with or without makeup, hair combed or not.... What fun treasures you and Annie came home with! I love the little coin dishes...I don’t believe I have ever seen the likes of them before. I bet they...like your pins....make great remembrances. Sadly, my collection would be very sorry. It is fun to see what others bring home as treasures. Thank you so much for sharing with us... I hope you have adjusted back to your home time diet and schedule.... I know how travels can wreak havoc on those of us with compromised systems.... Happy Weekend to you! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  4. D.C. makes you proud, that's for sure. I miss it so much. We collect small things that are easy to pack and pins are perfect...easy on the budget, as well.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use to collect t-shirts from all the cities we visited as a child. Socks that Annie collects are a wonderful treasure. I loved flying into DC once at night with all of the monuments lit. So beautiful! Eating what you want on vacation is to be expected...hope all is well with your food intake now. Have a great weekend! Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told members of our group that flew to D.C. to try to fly in at night...and sit on the left side of the plane. Coming into D.C. at night is spectacular!!!! I've done it many times and it's always memorable.

      Delete
  6. Annie, I LOVE your star socks! Very much enjoyed your posts of this trip. Sixteen mile run? Holy moly that's impressive. About your pins, how about a length of narrow linen banding hanging like a bell pull with your pins showcased in a vertical row?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea for our pins! Mr. MW runs every other day. The other days he lifts weights. He gets up at 3:45 a.m. every day of the week! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your travel experience with us. You got some nice little treasures to take home. Annie chose some nice socks.

    I don't blame Annie for sounding out her frustrations. I've been patted down too many times and I don't like it either. The last time, my shoes sounded the security alarm. Now I put them on the tray.

    Wow, Mr MW sure sounds very fit but I don't know how he manage getting up so early. He's very disciplined for sure.
    I hope you have a relaxing weekend.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Safe travels...love all your collections. Hang in there Annie, we all have to go through it to keep us safe!

    ReplyDelete