Friday, February 10, 2012

Simply baskets


I've blogged about my basket collection before, but I thought I'd share a few close ups of a few of my favorites. I display these on the white bookcase in our living room so they stand out as little works of folk art. They are simple and worn, and to me, the more lopsided they are, the more endearing.







Who made these baskets? What role did they play in everyday life long ago? Were they passed down in families as a valued piece of family history..."Aunt Addie wove this from splints of ash trees that grew on her Virginia farm."? They speak to me with their simple beauty, how I wish they could tell me the many stories of their early lives.
                                                  
                                                      Enjoy the day,
                                                           Robyn

Oh yeah, my favorite? It's a toss up between the first two pictured above. Yours?


11 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, I love baskets!!!!! I think my favorite might be the very small one with what looks like cotton in it. But they're all wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful collection of baskets! I don't think I could pic a favorite. They are all so special. Baskets are one thing I haven't collected. I guess I don't know enough about them to know what I was doing. I've always loved them tho. Have a great day, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful basket collection!! Love them all, but I think my fave is the littlest one! Also love the one in the first pic.... it actually might be a tie between that one and the small one! Thanks for sharing.... have a happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great post Robyn!! LOVE every single one of your little baskets...I think though, that the little square one you have pictured with the cotton is my favorite! :)
    Have a wonderful weekend, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful baskets!! I love them all!!

    Enjoy your weekend~Becky

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robyn ~
    What beautiful baskets. The white bookcase sets them off perfectly. Favorite? I can't decide.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful and so wonderfully displayed - hard to pick a favorite? Maybe the second one? But then the first one is great, and so is the last one, oh and the 3rd one too...well i can't decide...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robyn, We have something in common...I LOVE old baskets and yours are wonderful (esp. the one in the bottom picture!)

    I have many of mine hanging from a ceiling beam dividing my living room from my dining room. Thanks for sharing your great collection!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, old baskets! I love to hold them in my hand - the handles have been worn smooth by years of use, my favorites are the ones that have been used and show their age and wear. ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another common point....I love old baskets and have a collection of them too - I'd like to have them displayed together, but haven't figured out a space (too-small-house syndrome) - so most of mine have been put to use in displays. You have some great ones - I'd have to say my favorite is a toss up between the second one and the wee one with the cotton in it. I absolutely LOVE your posts my friend....Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete