Friday, November 22, 2019

...a hodge podge of goings on


Good morning, friends. As my eight year anniversary of blogging approaches, I am here today after a few months respite from social medium.

 Annie and I have been binge watching Hallmark Christmas movies. She loves the music and kids and animals...and especially all the snow. As for me, my teeth hurt as a result of all the saccharine plots. I have dialogs in my head with characters that have been making the very same bad choices for years. I watch because my daughter's eyes sparkle when it comes to anything Christmas related...and I like the snow, too. We cuddle up together on our cozy couch (a new and much improved version) and all the ugly out there in the world goes away. God bless Hallmark Christmas movies.

The gent in the pic above has been supervising me as I rework the three wreaths that hang on the outside of our windows and door for the holidays...our only outside Christmas decoration. I bought new wreaths this year as the old ones were a bit shabby. I also added the pineapples. The old fruit that has helped us welcome Christmas for over twenty five years has been given a new look with the addition of magnolia leaves. The wreath below is a work in progress. 



Halloween has come and gone. The "girls" above the kitchen sink were fascinated by the sparkly spiders that invaded their basket homes for October. These spiders are Annie's absolute favorite holiday decoration! She loves them!


A few autumn touches are still hanging around. We've had some cooler weather and the large pumpkins I place atop ivy in the black iron urns by the front door have fared well. The small pie pumpkins we place on the window ledges outside have been replaced a few times. Unfortunately, three of our neighbors have had trees removed lately. Large gorgeous pines and a few oaks have been taken down so that green lawns might fare better. I had to drink copious amounts of camomile tea and plug my ears during the three days this slaughter took place. Consequently, we now get lots of afternoon sun and our poor little pumpkins suffered for it.


For the third year in a row, Early American Life Magazine has offered a limited edition Shooner holiday platter. I think this one is my favorite so far.


For the first time in a few years, I removed the white slipcovers that had been on the camelback sofa and two wing backs in the living room. It's a whole new look! 

This is the chair where I sit when I stitch. Early morning sun rays cast shadows on the best seat in the house. Out the front window I watch the rowdy squirrels gather acorns from one of our noble live oaks. If I glance in the other direction, I spy our cardinal couple and a few friends helping themselves to breakfast at the feeder in the back yard. A dray of squirrels has long inhabited our yard. They are in the front and back yard all day long and make us laugh with their antics. None of our trees are going anywhere!


Wee bits of Christmas are popping up here and there. I try to do a little every day. Hope to finish up the wreaths for outside today. Then I can begin the inside in ernest.

In my continuing effort to "get rid of all this stuff", I reduced my Halloween decorations to two small bins from four. I was merciless!  Ravens, witches and pumpkins were boxed up and donated. It felt good. 

Also gone...years and years worth of magazines...primitive, country, early american, etc....loaded into the recycling bin. I went through a lot of these magazines and after a few it was like looking at the same one over and over again. I am so ready for a new look! 

I also donated some primitives. I remember years ago, when I would find a good deal at a second hand store and be thrilled. I hope to pass that feeling on.

So. that's it for now. I notice fewer and fewer blog posts from many bloggers. Life is busy. I wanted to say hello today...on my blogging anniversary...and thank you who have visited...and those who have left comments. I'm still here. 

Hope you all are enjoying the "wonder" that is this time of year!

Enjoy the day,
Robyn






6 comments:

  1. Happy blog anniversary! Yes, blogging seems to be dying, but I still enjoy it so will continue. I have met many friends through blogland.
    Your decorating always makes my heart sing. You have exquisite taste.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you, Mr. MW and of course dear Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Blog-a-versary! So glad to see you post. The world outside is scary and I not a big Hallmark fan but it is a good way to disconnect. I am watching old Agatha Christie movies on Acorn TV loved her books and I am really enjoying these old period movies.
    I cleaned out my Halloween too it felt good.
    Sadly we had 3 lard old oaks taken down not for a lawn but one of them was rotten and hanging over the house and they all came from the same main trunk. When we look at it it is like a huge scar but we had to do it. The only up side is we keep the wood and will burn it next year in our stove and fireplaces.
    Happy Thanksgiving and on to Christmas!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 8th Blog Anniversary. I agree that blogging has died down as the novelty has worn off. I don't blog often either and I only continue because one of my daughter wants me to keep the blog going even though she doesn't leave any comments. That girl is just so busy.

    I'm not on any social media like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Pinterest ( except only once in a blue moon when I need a picture of something for an idea.

    Annie makes it fun for you to decorate for Christmas. Every time I see an owl decoration, I think of her.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your wreaths. The Hallmark movies all have the same theme..girl meets boy, or boy meets girl..old beau gets involved..but I so love them myself. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your morning stitching chair looks and sounds lovely. Those early morning times are priceless. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Robyn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I loved what you wrote about the neighbors taking down trees. Just reading about it hurt my heart too. We have over 300 trees on our property and not any of them are palm trees. This is California. I love trees and I would have been so sad as you said to watch that slaughter. Have a wonderful Christmas too. I love seeing all of the changes you have made.

    ReplyDelete