Monday, July 29, 2013

Randomness


We are home from Amelia Island. It was a really fun trip...the highlight was the annual Battle of the Boards on Friday night. The July meeting is the first for the new President of the Bar. It is a combined meeting of the Board of Governors and the Young Lawyers Board...thirty five years old and under. Every year it is a true battle to see who takes home the trophy. Some years it is a physical battle...scavenger hunts...volleyball on the beach...it is the choice of the president. Sometimes it's a bit more cerebral. This year the "old" lawyers, as Annie calls them, defended their title with a game of "Lawyer Feud"...as in Family Feud. The hotel staff did an excellent job of running the show.

The t-shirt this year was a doozie...Mr. Gene...the President of the Florida Bar with...as Annie exclaimed..."pink hair"!


Fueled with a little libation and lots of competitive spirit...even a few non-lawyer wives ended up helping out for a few rounds as we were outnumbered by the youngsters. I'm proud to say I contributed a number one answer...Perry Mason...best lawyer t.v. show of all time...the old lawyers prevailed!


Well done, Counselors!

**************************************************************


On the way home we made a stop at Kingsley Plantation. Sea Island cotton was the main cash crop here. 


The original foundations of the slave cabins still stand. The cabins were built from "tabby"...a mixture of oyster shells sand and water. 


...the view...


...the house...


The slave cabins were built in a semi-circle similar to the design of many West African villages. The owner of Kingsley Plantation, Zephaniah Kingsley, was married to an African woman from Senegal. He purchased her in Cuba and freed her when they moved to Florida when it was still under Spanish rule. When Florida came under U.S. rule, Anna and her children were in danger of being made slaves  themselves upon Zephaniah's death, so the family moved to Haiti. How's that for a convoluted history?

*********************************************


Here are my goodies from the trip. I have eyed this reverse painted silhouette on many trips to Amelia Island. This time it was reduced in price and came home with me...love the birds eye maple frame.

I am a "honey" addict. It's one of the things I look for when we travel because honey always tastes different in different locales. This honey happens to be from Savannah. Tupelo honey is my favorite!

Also scored three pins to add to my snippets bag.


Ask Annie the best part of any hotel stay and she will answer. "...the cold sheets".


Pumpkins popping up here!


Have a great week!


Robyn
















14 comments:

  1. Thanks Robyn for sharing your fun trip to Amelia Island. Good for you to get into the competition and give the right answer.

    I love the plantation house with the beautiful palm trees and what a gorgeous view and I love that reversed painted silhouette too.Thanks for sharing the story about the owner of the plantation. He was a decent man.
    Like Annie, I love cold sheets in the summer too.

    Have a beautiful week.
    Hugs,
    JB



    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robyn, what a wonderful trip....beautiful pictures, ahh, sweet Annie......Love the pumpkins popping up too, Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a lot of fun with that competition! Hooray for the old folks! lol! So interesting about Kingsley Plantation's history! Really fascinating! The buildings are beautiful there too. Love seeing your souvenirs too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like a great trip!
    love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Robyn,
    Another wonderful post about a beautiful trip! I always wanted to visit those islands when I lived in FL but never got the chance! Thanks for letting me visit via you!!
    I adore your new silhouette too! So happy it got to go home with you!!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of a snippets bag with pins.
    I would love to see that snippets bag and the pins you have been collecting ! ;)
    Beautiful pics of the Plantation.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like the competition was very lively. Thanks for taking me on the tour of that lovely plantation.
    Love the pumpkins.
    Cool sheets are a wonderful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a fun trip.
    I too love cold sheets and Annie's sweet photo.
    Pumpkin pumpkins I love them soo.
    Woolie hugs

    Oops love me some honey too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds like a busy fun vacation. I like your finds.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing your pictures of your trip to Amelia Island and especially of Kingsley Plantation. I agree with Annie, you can't beat cool sheets in the summer.

    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you had a fun trip.
    Look forward to seeing the pumpkins!
    Annie is right, cool sheets are nice but I am looking forward to
    Fall and Winter with cozy flannel sheets!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the simply lines of the slaves quarters and how they were made with" tabby". They remind me of the cottages in Ireland made with local materials, and my own COOPERAGE built in 1860 from rubble stone found in the area. Once again thanks for pictures. They are always educational as well as beautiful. I love cold sheets too!
    nancee

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun trip - shopping, history and friends! Tell Annie I can relate, I like cold pillows. Have a great week. ~Ann

    ReplyDelete