Thursday, October 10, 2013

Folk Art


The Art Institute of Chicago has a small gallery dedicated to American Folk Art. I was thrilled to see this unexpected bevy of fine examples of my favorite things.



This chair made my heart go pitter patter! 



Wonderful patina on this sweet, diminutive chest!



An eagle by Wilhem Schimmel, the itinerant wood carver from Pennsylvania, whose pieces are sought after by collectors. The addition of polychrome paint gives this guy an extra bit of pizzaz. 



This lady was, by far, my favorite. She is a maidenhead from the bow of a ship. Love the hair!


This is a group of portraits of one family. It was difficult to capture them...they are unlike any portraits of this era I have seen.


They have big eyes...


and their bodies are out of proportion with their heads...


bu there is something very charming, very naive about them, The original frames are gorgeous.

This is a small collection of American folk art, but I am always happy to feast my eyes, and nourish my soul with even a small selection of this primitive art form.


Enjoy the day,
Robyn



11 comments:

  1. Pretty darn cool! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Robyn, what a wonderful exhibit!!! My heart was continuously going pitter patter and still is!!
    Such a treat to see this beautiful collection! Thank you!
    xo Louise

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoW, I am just drooling!
    Thank you for sharing Robyn.

    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great exhibit Robyn, thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so fortunate to have made this visit. Thanks for sharing as I enjoyed it all.
    Warm Regards with Peace,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a treat to see all of this! Wonderful, and displayed so beautifully too! You're so right about that family group of portraits. Very different -- and somehow very modern feeling too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Robyn, wow, so much interesting beautiful Folk art, love it all....thanks for inviting us along, enjoyed, Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Robyn,
    You certainly had an amazing time as seen through all your wonderful photos!! The folk art is truly FANTASTIC and THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing with us, giving us a chance to see these beautiful works through your camera lens.....the next best thing to being there!!
    So happy you were able to go on this trip!!
    Warmest Hugs~~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful photos, love the pieces. the portraits are very compelling.
    I always wonder why their heads are large, much like a real babies is.
    ,ust have been the perspective at the time!
    have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed your pictures. I have one of those 'high' chairs, minus the foot rest. It is lovely.
    Wondering what the story is on the Indian with wheels ?
    Rose

    ReplyDelete